The Fudan-UC Center on Contemporary China is the first academic institution established by a major Chinese university in cooperation with a leading North American university. It is based in the School of Global Policy and Strategy (GPS) at the University of California, San Diego.
Under the directorship of Professor Richard Madsen, the Center serves to connect all ten campuses of the University of California system with Fudan University in Shanghai. It brings together leading research scholars from both universities for conferences and lectures, and facilitate cooperative research. The Center promotes deeper mutual understanding between the United States and China.
The Center fosters academic exchange and comparative research by scholars from Fudan University and the University of California. Activities include regular lectures and research colloquia on China involving scholars from both universities. The ultimate goals are to increase the quality of research done in both countries and to deepen mutual understanding between the United States and China. We hope that some of the research will be relevant to public policy in both countries.
- Facilitate academic exchange and cooperative research between UC and Fudan faculty
- Convene an annual conference on contemporary China, with participation from Fudan faculty and Chinese studies faculty, and graduate students throughout the UC system
- Organize workshops bringing together UC and Fudan researchers
- Arrange public lectures by visiting researchers from Fudan
- Work closely with the 21st Century China Center, which serves as an international hub for policy-relevant research and for interactive and scholarly engagement with China
- Assist academic activities organized by the Fudan Development Institute (FDDI), such as the annual Shanghai Forum
- Identify sources of funding and facilitate collaborating faculty from Fudan and UC to apply jointly for research funding from Chinese and American sources
- Contribute a library of books and journals produced by faculty from Fudan University, and provide access to research databases on Chinese social development, public opinion, quality of life surveys, and the economy
The Fudan-UC Center is located at the Institute of Americas Gildred Building at the north end of International Lane, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093.
The nearest parking is in the Pangea parking structure, off North Torrey Pines Rd. Please follow instructions at pay stations.
Downloadable map (PDF)
Managing Associate Director
Research Centers Administrative Assistant, GPS